Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lily Pie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Santa Came :) And So Did Sickness :(

Let me be clear...I had no crazy ideas about how this Christmas would go.  I realized that the bows, paper and boxes would be the main attractions.  However, that still did not take any of our excitement away.  We were so thrilled to be sharing this day with our sweet girl ~ our first Christmas as a family of five (George and Annie count you know)!

My mom came into town on Christmas Eve since we had decided even before Sophie actually arrived that we wanted to start our own traditions as a family.  One of those traditions being that we would be home for Santa's arrival.  AND if we just so happened to want to stay in our pajamas all day, then no one could stop us!  For the record, we were only in our pajamas for about 75% of the day :)

So anyway, back to Christmas Eve.  I will say I had lofty goals about this day.  Funny how that works ~ goals for Christmas Eve but not necessarily Christmas Day :)  Go figure!  So here were my lofty ideas.  Santa cookies, carrots for the reindeer and a gingerbread house.  Now that doesn't sound so difficult.  And honestly, the first two weren't.  I can take ready made cookies, pop them in the oven, stick some carrots on a plate and VOILA!  Santa and his reindeer are taken care of and certainly won't go hungry around here.  But the gingerbread house...um...there is a reason they make pre-made kits.  Because it has got to be easier than cutting up graham crackers in such a way that you get a perfectly angled roof!  And please, no Aggie jokes here ~ it really is more difficult than it seems!!!  But have no fear ~ once I had successfully got the angles right...I broke it.  Yes, I broke it!  Are you kidding me???  I wanted to just trash this whole idea so badly but then I didn't want to have to tell Sophie years from now that I failed at making her a gingerbread house on her VERY FIRST CHRISTMAS!!!  She would have been scarred for life ~ absolutely scarred!  Ok, so that's a little dramatic but I did decide not to quit.  And the second one I have to say turned out much better :)
 
Christmas morning Sophie woke up right on schedule.  Thankfully she isn't yet to that age where she wakes up at like 4:00 in the morning itching to see what Santa brought.  I know my time is coming but for now I'll enjoy the extra sleep :)  Santa only really delivered one gift this year.  After all the deliveries he made to other peoples houses ~ grandparents, aunts and uncles, friends, and of course a couple came from Mommy and Daddy ~ Santa had a light request load :)  Oh and of course Santa didn't forget the pups!





See how happy she is in the videos above?!  Enjoy it ~ these moments were few and far between!  And when they did appear, they didn't last long :(

After her Santa gift, Sophie went down for a nap as expected.  She woke up a little fussy but hey, there was a lot of commotion.  I started to get a little more concerned as after a little while of playing she wanted to take ANOTHER nap.  Now if you know my child, she NEVER wants to take a nap.  This kid will go until she simply can't go any longer.  But I thought, we get to eat lunch in peace together on Christmas Day ~ I'll take it.  And that was the last of my good luck thoughts.  When that child woke up she had a fever of 103.6!  On Christmas!  I have never been so glad my mom was in town as I was that day.  Otherwise we would have taken her to Texas Children's immediately.  But after some Motrin and a phone call to the 24 hours nurses line, we decided to do the fever control and see what panned out.  And wouldn't you know ~ she was better (meaning fever free) when she woke up from her umpteenth nap of the day.  By this time, Kevin's mom and stepdad had arrived and so I figured we would open the rest of our gifts and enjoy the rest of the day.  Yea, well the best laid plans.  The gifts did get opened but the true enjoyment of her new toys wouldn't come for several days.  For the record, the consistent fever led me and my mom to make an emergency run to Walgreen's (thank you for being open on Christmas, even though I'm terribly sorry for your employees) for a rectal thermometer.  Enough said about that.

After an entire weekend of fever, thankfully never again quite as high as 103.6, we took her to the pediatrician on Monday to try and figure out what on Earth was going on with this kid.  She had already been sick a week and a half prior to this!  Thankfully we already had an early appointment to get the second round of the flu shot.  So that shot appointment just turned into a sick visit and no shots.  One flu test + one blood work test later = No flu (YEA!) + Ear Infection (Boo) + Virus (Double Boo).  Thank you for the world of antibiotics.  A couple days later, I actually saw my kid smile :)

Now after that long drawn out story of how our Christmas Day went, here are the pictures you've probably already looked at.  All kidding aside, I bet a lot of you skipped to this part before you went back and read my novel :)  Not a lot of smiles going on in these pictures, but life happens!  Hopefully, next year we will have a HEALTHY Christmas in the Taliaferro household.  And next year I promise I will take a family photo on Christmas Day, but with a SUPER sick kiddo, it really didn't cross my mind. Sorry scrapbook :(

Sophie loves Santa!  Based on the amount of toys, I would certainly think so!
Told you Santa didn't forget the pups!
Opening her stocking with Daddy!  She got a book, a sippy cup (which she won't use), bath toys, and a Singamajig (not pictured).
Our Little Santa Baby!
More Gifts!  The ball actually goes to a Sit-and-Stand Giraffe but who cares about that part Mom?  The balls are the best part!
 
Hope you all had a very blessed Christmas!

1 comment:

Holly said...

Aww poor baby! Not a fun way to spend Christmas- sounds exactly like my Thanksgiving. Don't these babies know they aren't allowed to get sick on a holiday? Or a Sunday? Glad she is all better and enjoying those toys. She and Logan (who should be happier) will have to have a play date or 2 in July!