My sweet, precious Papa went home yesterday to be with our savior...oh how I can only imagine what he can see now. The beauty, the glory, the voices of perfect praise...
It would be a lie to say my heart is not broken. Papa walked this earth a witness to our Lord every day. Even after years of health problems, the man could say a prayer and sing a hymn without missing a beat. He may have not always been fully aware of life as we knew it, but he knew who lived in his heart and praised our Lord with all that was within him.
In the hours that have passed since I received the news, the Lord has granted me a peace that could only come from Him. Yes, my heart is broken and it hurts. But, I am so happy for my Papa. He is happy. He is healthy. He is with his family and friends who have passed before him. He is walking the streets of gold, singing the hymns he loves, and offering the utmost praise.
The past few hours have been a mixture of emotions. I have walked the path of memories that I think everyone does in times like these. I remember how Papa loved to garden. He grew the most amazing watermelons...so amazing he set Eric and I up a stand to sell them in the yard. And then he did most of the work :) He and Mimi would make us after school snacks ~ my favorite of choice ~ fresh cucumbers. I remember how he would dip his sugar-free Popscicles in sugar because they didn't taste good otherwise and how he would never eat the lime green ones. I remember being a clown for Halloween one year and going to the festival at Cedar Grove. There are even pictures somewhere...ones I will cherish forever! I remember him sitting on the porch swing teaching me the words to "When the Roll is Called up Yonder," a hymn I will forever associate with him and our sweet times together. I remember how blessed I felt on my wedding day to have my sweet Papa there to see me marry the man of my dreams. I remember when he first met Sophia and how he would carry all his babies around like a "sack of potatoes". And boy, did they all love it :) Oh how, I wish that my sweet Lilah Bear would have had the chance to meet her amazing Papa. But I know I will have plenty of stories to share with her as she gets older, and maybe I will teach both my girls the words to that precious hymn one day as well.
Oh how I could go on and on about my Papa. He has left an imprint on his family that will never be filled by anyone else. He has taught us how to live by his sweet spirit and gracious, unfailing love. Yes, he has left this earth, but he is more alive now that he has ever been. That I know for sure.
So to my sweet Papa...you will never know how missed you are. You were loved beyond words. You have forever changed our lives for the better. You have taught me life lessons I will pass on to my own children. You have showed me what it means to "finish the good race". And now, you have received the reward. I am sure you are already tilling your land, raising crops, and sitting in the light of our Savior. Enjoy Heaven precious Papa. You deserve it!
All my love, forever and always.


4 comments:
Oh, Heather!!! What a beautiful tribute to PaPa! I know he smiling down and saying thank you! Your words have described what we all feel in our hearts. We will truly miss him and our love will carry on even through his passing. He is home and he is healed. We'll see him again when we too take our true first breath of everlasting life! God bless you, Kevin, Sophie, and little Lilah. I love you! *hugs*
Heather,
What a beautiful tribute to the wonderful man who led our entire family in faith beyond this life. He would be smiling and giving that identifying chuckle that was so much a part of him. I envisioned him this morning (while driving to Newton to help MiMi make final arrangements) as a young boy ... once again ... along with Uncle Billy and Uncle James racing to reach Jesus. It made me smile. Strange but Uncle Robert said he had an image of him and his brothers at their favorite fishing hole. He said the three of them loved to fish together when they were kids. I am sure each one of us can see wonderful images of how he must be delighting in the glory of God.
Uncle Robert and I love you and your precious family so much. We will see you Thursday as we celebrate the earthly life of PaPa.
Beautiful Heather..yes, grieving as hard as it is- is also a part of life; one of the things that "keep our hearts tender".I just showed ted the pics below of your Sophie and he said: "she'd have to be pretty as pretty as heather 'was'..meaning when we knew you in Texas.I am so touchd as I read of your "mommie experiences" of you, heather f. and Holly...you girls are what God meant Mothers to be like..it's a joy tagging along and peeking in now and then..
re your Papa..We Grandparents often wonder if anyone is paying attention..or listening..if we make any difference in the lives of our Grands..You have been listening and payin attention..bless you. I will always cherish the time I had with "MY GIRLS"
Love this! What sweet memories you have of your Papa...what a wonderful tribute to him and the legacy he is leaving behind. Hugs to you and your family~Love you!
Post a Comment